Sunday, March 12, 2017

Diary of Socrates


In this year of 399 I, Socrates, have been found guilty of "refusing to recognize the gods recognized by the state" and "corrupting the youth" by a jury of 500 Athenians (The Daemon Page, n.d., para.1). The social and cultural con
ditions that influenced my fellow citizens to charge me are connected to religious dogma as my fellow Grecian citizens believe that the "gods" will punish them with invasions by other cities, natural disasters, or plagues if the "gods" are angered by my rebellious behavior of questioning the accepted norms of society and the "gods" (Academy of Ideas, 2013). Although I was offered a reprieve if I would cease my logical questions and reasoning of virtue, I shall accept my fate as life without philosophy would be meaningless. My dear friend, Plato, has barely left my side since the charges were filed (The Daemon Page, n.d.). Since I have never written anything down, I shall compose a summary of my basic theories.

Some of my ideas include 1) that one should care for the soul, 2) knowledge is necessary to become virtuous and virtue is necessary to obtain happiness, 3) all evil acts are committed out of ignorance and hence involuntary, and 4) committing an injustice is far worse than suffering an injustice (Academy of Ideas, 2013). We should continually ask ourselves"what is the way we ought to live" so that we may adjust society, culture, and our lives to be virtuous (Academy of Ideas, 2013, 1min30seconds). "An unexamined life is not worth living"so the best way to improve ourselves is to gaze inward to analyze our true nature to improve our lives (Academy of Ideas, 2013, 2min10sec). "Our true self is our soul" instead of our station in culture or the possessions we may own as other Athenians believe, and I wish for them to know that the state of our soul or inner being determines the quality of our life (Academy of Ideas, 2013, 2min 33sec).

One day Hippias told me,"Socrates, you are still repeating the same things I heard you say so long ago" (Academy of Ideas, 2013, 15 sec). Unfazed by the rude comment of Hippias, I replied, "Yes, and what is more wonderful, I am not only still saying the same things, but I am saying them on the same subjects" (Academy of Ideas, 2013, 22 sec). Let it be known that I always stood for logic and reason of virtue regardless of society's cultural norms.

I have always relied on the voice of my internal oracle or daimon who has never failed to warn me of impending danger. "The oracle made no sign of opposition, either when I was leaving my house in the morning, or when I was on my way to the court, or while I was speaking...and yet I have often been stopped in the middle of a speech, but now in nothing. What do I take to be the explanation of this silence?..what has happened to me is a good" (The Daemon Page, n.d.para.7). So do not worry for me as I go happily to investigate and analyze the after-life.

 Academy of Ideas. (30 March, 2013). Socrates: The Man and His Life. Academy of Ideas.  Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2wM4pApOtM

The Daemon Page. (n.d.). Socrates and the Daemon. The Daemon Page. Retrieved from
http://daemonpage.com/socrates-daimon.php
 

2 comments:

  1. The truly virtuous is the megalopsychia or great-souled person and this person has eudaimonia, that is, fully flourishing humanity. In the Myth of Er we are led to believe that philosophy will break the cycle of reward and punishment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_Er

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful comment. Thank you so much for the additional information on this fabulous man and hero. Blessed Be )O(

      Delete